Published on August 1st, 20130
• “The nutraceutical and pharmacological effects AlgaBerry™ were historically described as anti-inflammatory … control of hypertension … “
• “Modern studies have suggested that AlgaBerry™ may contain a broad range of compounds that have anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-tumor, or anti-cancer activity.”
• “Nostoc was mostly described to treat a variety of medical conditions, including inflammatory, nyctalopia (night blindness) … chronic fatigue
• ” … Nostoc contain[s] … active compounds … that exert nutraceutical and pharmacological effects, which range from anti-microbial, anti-viral to anti-tumor, anti-cancer … activities.”
• “Nostoc also contains a large amount of phycobiliproteins, which have been known to … have strong … anti-inflammatory activities.”
Algaen has since altered their marketing of AlgaBerry, though the product is still for sale.
Consumers should, as always, be wary of over the top health claims, especially for products unapproved by the FDA. For more on supplements, click here.