The Blue Buffalo Company Pet Food
November 2016: The Sweeney appeal was dismissed after she did not respond to a court order.
July 2016: Five objectors filed Notices of Appeal regarding the approval of the settlement. Click on the links below to see each one.
- Lopez Notice of Appeal
- McCoy Notice of Appeal
- Nadola Notice of Appeal
- Sibley Notice of Appeal
- Sweeney Notice of Appeal
December 2015: A federal judge preliminarily approved a settlement that would conclude several false advertising class actions that were filed against Blue Buffalo and later consolidated. According to the settlement terms, class members may receive a cash refund of $5 for every $50 they spent in purchases. (Class members without proof of purchase can receive a maximum of $10; class members with proof of purchase can receive a maximum of $200.) In addition, the company agreed to enhance its review process in order to ensure that products are consistent with the statements made on their packaging. A final fairness hearing is scheduled for May 19, 2016. For more information, go to www.petfoodsettlement.com.
January 2015: A Consolidated Class Action Complaint was filed (and later amended in December 2015).
2014: Multiple lawsuits have been filed against The Blue Buffalo Company claiming, among other things, that the company falsely represents that pet food does not contain ingredients – such as chicken/poultry by-product meals and corn – when it actually does contain these ingredients. The lawsuits were transferred to another court where several related lawsuits making the same allegations will be heard together. To learn more about each case, click on the case information below.
- Fisher et al v. The Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd. et al, Case No. 14-cv-5937, C. D. CA.
- Teperson et al v. The Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd et al, Case No. 14-cv-1682, S. D. CA.
- Delre et al v. Blue Buffalo Co., Ltd, Case No. 14-cv-768, D. CT.
- Renna et al v. Blue Buffalo Co., Ltd., Case No. 14-cv-833, D. CT.
- Mackenzie et al v. The Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., Inc., Case No. 14-cv-80634, S. D. FL.
- Stone et al v. Blue Buffalo Company Ltd., Case No. 14-cv-520, S. D. IL.
- Keil et al v. Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., Case No. 14-cv-880, E. D. MO.
- Hutchison et al v. Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., Case No. 14-cv-1070, E. D. MO.
- Andacky et al v. The Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., Case No. 14-cv-2938, E. D. NY.
(In Re: Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd., Marketing and Sales Practices Litigation, MDL No. 2562, Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation).
For more information about other class-action lawsuits filed against The Blue Buffalo Company and TINA.org’s coverage of the company, click here.