December 7th, 2016
Booty Max claims that its multi-directional resistance technology — which despite its scientific-sounding name boils down to kicking in a bunch of different directions — can “transform your booty from flat to fabulous” and turn a “saggy” seat into a “sensational” caboose.
But after a TINA.org reader’s boyfriend was charged double the advertised “two easy payments of $19.95” for the As Seen On TV product, TINA.org looked into the company’s marketing. Here’s what a review of the above commercial and the Booty Max website, including the terms and conditions page, dug up:
- The additional charges may have had something to do with the company’s policy to pitch more products after it has obtained a customer’s credit card information. Answer “yes” to any of these offers, if even by mistake, and you’ll be charged for additional products.
- The 30-day money-back guarantee touted in the company’s advertising doesn’t include the cost of shipping and handling, which, at $13.99, is also not factored into the “two easy payments of $19.95.” (The 30 days start the day you receive Booty Max, not the day it is ordered, which is actually a good thing considering the next bullet point.)
- Right now delivery can take up to six weeks, according to the commercial’s fine print. The reason for the delay? A Booty Max customer service representative told TINA.org that there’s been “overwhelming” demand for the product.
- Folks may be eager to get their hands on Booty Max due in part to customer testimonials in the commercial claiming that the product helped them lose as much as 21.5 inches. But if that sounds improbable if not impossible to you, a disclaimer on the website agrees. It states, “Please note that your experiences and results may differ.”
- The commercial doesn’t carry this disclaimer but even if it did the extreme weight-loss claims would be deceptive and against the law if they do not represent what most consumers can expect to achieve.
Find more of our coverage on weight loss here.
This ad alert was updated 12/20/16.