Published on June 13th, 20160
Helping Orlando Shooting Victims
- Gather as much information as you can about a particular charity before donating. A key question to ask is what percentage of the money is spent on helping victims versus how much is spent on fundraising efforts/overhead. Search for information online through websites such as:
- If you are contacted over the phone, ask for written documentation. Ask to be removed from their contact list if they refuse to send you more details in the mail.
- Don’t give in to any high-pressured tactics and don’t agree to send cash or give away bank information.
- Check if a crowdfunding site vets charities before distributing the money raised.
- Give to an established organization that has the infrastructure to get help where it’s needed and be wary of giving donations directly via social media.
If you believe that a fake charity has contacted you or if you have been a victim of a charity scam, you can contact your local State Attorney General’s office, as well as the FTC, and file a complaint.