H&R Block Cases
2013: Multiple false advertising class-action lawsuits were filed against H&R Block (and later transferred to multidistrict litigation (MDL) to be heard together with related lawsuits).
Several of the complaints allege, among other things, that the company promises to prepare tax returns accurately and provide customers with the maximum refund when, according to plaintiffs, it actually fails to complete all of the forms – specifically, Form 8863 – required to receive educational tax credits, including the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifelong Learning Tax Credit. Another complaint alleges that H&R Block advertised its tax returns would be filed with “100% Accuracy-Guaranteed” when, according to the complaint, the company left a mandatory field on IRS Form 8863 blank. Other complaints allege that H&R Block promises “100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee” when it actually does not offer customers compensation for tax preparation errors like failing to fill out the Form 8863. And another lawsuit alleges that H&R Block promotes free preparation and filing of individual federal tax returns, and promises to “get it right” and that the maximum refund [is] guaranteed,” when, according to the complaint, customers have to pay the company for it to apply certain tax credits, and the company fails to properly file customers’ tax returns.
To read each complaint, click on the case information below.
- Dreyling et al v. H&R Block, Inc., HRB Tax Group, Inc., and HRB Technology, LLC, Case No. 13-cv-2011, N. D. CA.
- Millett et al v. H&R Block, Inc., HRB Tax Group, Inc., and HRB Technology, LLC, Case No. 13-cv-00346, S. D. IL.
- Ortega et al v. H&R Block, Inc., HRB Tax Group, Inc., H&R Block Tax Services LLC, HRB Tecnhology LLC, and HRB Digital LLC, Case. No. 13-cv-02023, C. D. CA.
- Cauthen et al v. H&R Block, Inc., HRB Tax Group, Inc., and HRB Technology LLC, Case No. 13-cv-2142, N. D. CA.
- Lefebvre et al v. H&R Block, Inc., HRB Tax Group, Inc., and HRB Technology LLC, Case No. 13-cv-1196, M. D. FL.
- Waugh et al v. H&R Block, Inc., and HRB Tax Group, Inc. d/b/a H&R Block, Case No. 13-cv-0705, S. D. IN.
- Pooley et al v. H&R Block, Inc., Case No. 13-cv-1549, D. NJ.
(In Re: H&R Block IRS Form 8863 Litigation, Master Case No. 13-md-2474, W. D. MO.; MDL No. 2474)
For more information about other class-action lawsuits filed against H&R Block and TINA.org’s coverage of the company, click here.