May 2015: A class-action lawsuit was filed against KIND LLC for, among other things, falsely marketing KIND snack bars, including KIND Fruit & Nut Almond & Apricot, KIND Fruit & Nut Almond & Coconut, KIND Plus Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate + Protein, and KIND Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew + Antioxidants. Among other things, the complaint alleges that the company:
- Deceptively markets the snack bars using terms and symbols – including “healthy,” “+,” “Plus,” “Anti-oxidant rich,” “Good Source of Fiber,” and “No Trans Fat” – without meeting federal requirements to make such claims,
- Does not include the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor, as required by federal regulations;
- Does not adequately disclose certain nutrition information;
- Does not correctly disclose allergen information because it does not include all of the major allergens, as required by federal law; and
- Lists ingredients without meeting federal requirements for such lists. (For example, the complaint alleges that the company does not list the specific names of ingredients and sub-ingredients and does not use the appropriate common name for an ingredient.)
(House et al v. KIND LLC, Case No. 15-cv-2127, N. D. CA.)
For more information about other class-action lawsuits filed against KIND LLC and TINA.org’s coverage of the company, click here.